Main Menu

What antenna?

Started by ukv1290, June 02, 2009, 06:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

ukv1290

Hey All!

I have now had the Radar Box for a few days and I think I need to get an extenal antenna which should help me pick up more aircraft!  Can anybody recomend any?  I want to mount it to the roof and then connect the cable to my Radar Box located in my room (2nd floor) so the cable will need to run from the roof through the loft and then into my radar box?

Also I want one for my scanner  - If anyone can recomend an external one for a scanner (thanks )

Regards

Tom

:)

nortonbeak

There are quite a number of companies selling aerials suitable for use with RadarBox including AirNav themselves.

However, one company that I have used for both items that you are seeking is

http://www.ssejim.co.uk/22-antennas.htm

daveg4otu

For the Radar box I am using the MD-1105 .The Kit comprises the antenna (which is Magmounted) 10 metres of coax and a BNC/SMA  adaptor.)

Screenshot shows my coverage - height is about 400ft amsl  with  higher ground to the west.

For your scanner - presuming you are mostly interested in Airband VHF ...I use WBA20  vertical from W & S for 108-136Mhz...this is a  GP vertical ...and it seems to work fairly well on the Mil UHF  bands.

Otherwise if you want to cover a wide range of bands - then some kind of Discone - but remember that it will be a compromise at best.
5 Miles N of BHD at 50.28.28 N/3.30.43W...400ft amsl.

Hampshire, Devon, Dorset and Isle of Wight  Airfields Websites.....
http://devonairfields.tripod.com/index.htm

ukv1290

Anyone know much about the two antennas at the bottom of this page?
http://www.bhinstrumentation.co.uk/html/_airnav_radarbox.html

Canonjohns40D

#4
Hi Tom I have two DPD Productions aerials one for the Radarbox and one for the VHF UHF Airband. These came from America with little bother they are excellent quality and I know others have gone down this route well for the radarbox anyhow. I hope this helps. i have a ttached my polar diagram for information.

John
Hi I'm John... and I'm a Radarbox User. I'm based in Bangor Co Down Northern Ireland.

CoastGuardJon

Hi Tom, worth looking at Diamond D-777 for scanner rather than discone IMO.

http://www.radioworld.co.uk/~radio/catalog/d777-diamond-120300mhz-airband-fixed-station-vertical-p-4093.html?osCsid=67d13d0e718d5c8c896b3d786459075a

very well made and high quality, and as mentioned by you above Watson Radar Extender, both appear to be from same maunfacturer but different badge engineering, like Austin, Morris, Riley, Wolseley etc............!

http://www.radioworld.co.uk/~radio/catalog/radarextender-external-antenna-radarbox-p-5965.html?osCsid=67d13d0e718d5c8c896b3d786459075a
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

colinhall

Morning Coastguardjon,  Im not allowed by our landlord to put any aerials on the outside of our house. So do you suggest one that I can put up very discreetly and is not very noticeable  please. Colin Hall. Nr Dover.

nortonbeak

Quote from: colinhall on June 03, 2009, 07:50:25 AM
Im not allowed by our landlord to put any aerials on the outside of our house. So do you suggest one that I can put up very discreetly and is not very noticeable  please. Colin Hall. Nr Dover.

This is a possibility for a "discreet" installation as it can be easily removed from its location. I have no idea of how it performs, however.

http://www.airbandonline.co.uk/kapl_sbs1_aerial_co.htm

malc41

or what about the telescopic masts with tripod that can be put up used and then take down again.

Apologies but someone posted the info a few days ago
15 Miles East of EGNJ

WAL 2T

Be careful with the telescopic masts as the top sections are often very thin (as little as 1" dia) which means that typical v-bolts supplied with many external atennae for pole mounting would run out of thread. You can of course get around this by replacing the bots with longer threaded ones.
Chris

Under the EGGP 27 Centreline & 15nm from EGCC

John Racars

Quote from: ukv1290 on June 02, 2009, 06:10:23 PMCan anybody recomend any?

Hi Tom,

I can recomend you the configuration mentioned in my signature below. I am using this for one year now and I am verry statisfied about it.
Best Regards from the Netherlands, John Racars
13 NM East of EHAM
-
ANRB:
Version: 3D - 5.00.072
Antenna: outside WiMo GP-1090 (with ECOFLEX 10 cableconnection)
PC: Windows 7 SP 1 - 64 bit
-
RadarBox24 station: EHAM4

CoastGuardJon

Quote from: colinhall on June 03, 2009, 07:50:25 AMIm not allowed by our landlord to put any aerials on the outside of our house. So do you suggest one that I can put up very discreetly and is not very noticeable  please.

Hi Colin, is he totally rigid on this - have you got an external UHF TV and/or satellite dish (my daughter was in a very similar position, I suggested she talk to her landlord and given that she accepted responsibilty for any damage or repairs as a result of these aerials, he agreed), are you after an antenna for just RB/SBS or for wide band scanner as well?    If it is totally out of the question, email a pic of your house, there are various possible solutions and suggestions.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!