Unusual RadarBox Network Locations

Started by RodBearden, May 27, 2009, 08:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

RodBearden

Ground return coming from Sanya Phoenix International ZJSY on Hainan, China.
New location to me.

Rod
Rod

BOM1

That's me Rod, enjoying the beach resort across the road.  Be here another couple of days.   Will keep connected.

Steve

RodBearden

Thanks for that Steve - have a good time!

You do get to some interesting places!

Rod
Rod

RodBearden

Rod

RodBearden

Low-level returns from Tripoli at the moment.

Rod
Rod

Runway 31

Soeul Incheon now showing ground returns, first for a while, someone on holiday maybe

Alan

Runway 31

Big improvement in coverage around Beijing

Alan

RodBearden

Rod

kaifone

back on from N Sardinia, Italy
until tomorrow

ciaoo

K

RodBearden

For the first time, I'm seeing returns from the Ugolny area (UHMA) near the Bering strait between Russia and Alaska. http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=7231.0

Rod
Rod

RodBearden

Returns coming from the King Khalid International (OERK) area in Saudi at the moment.

Rod
Rod

typist

#536
I originally intended to set up my radarbox permanently in Hanoi...but due to various factors (the need for a monster mast, highrise buildings nearby, building regulations, radio interference, the incredible cost of shipping a proper antenna to Vietnam and the hassle of dealing with customs etc) I put the project on ice.

Now I just opened an office in Saigon (or Ho Chi Minh City for those who still like the idea of naming cities after people), perfectly located 3nm from VVTS.

The standard glideslope for rw 07L passes right next to my office window - at around 1000ft altitude on approach the aircraft are 0.4 nm away from my antenna, meaning that even with the standard antenna inside my window sill I already now get good returns from that direction :)

I've just signed a long-term lease for the office here, and in due course I'll set up a proper antenna mast on the rooftop which should clear most obstructions and give near 360 deg coverage, and invest in a slightly higher-gain, probably sealed (fiberglass) "permanent outdoor" type antenna.

I'm running airnav on my laptop for now (and need to take it with me sometimes), but as soon as I get a permanent antenna/mast, I'll use a dedicated box so that it will be online 24/7.

Runway 31

Looking forwrds to seeing your returns typist

Alan

typist

the returns should be there already, just with a limited radius (max 50nm in "lucky" directions for FL 30-40, but good coverage of final approach/landing on RW07 already), but as soon as I get a mast and a proper antenna setup I should get pretty much 360 degrees visibility. I wanted to do this 2 years ago in HN already, but it really isn't worth it when the location is sub-optimal, but now I found a perfect spot methinks :)

Runway 31

Just noted CPA764 on departure from VVTS

Alan