AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: dca on February 02, 2009, 08:14:27 AM

Title: Hardware Problem
Post by: dca on February 02, 2009, 08:14:27 AM
Help! My radarbox has stopped working. I am getting just a rapidly blinking USB light which according to the help file indicates a driver issue. I have however tried plugging into my laptop & have the same problem. Is anyone aware of a similar issue & a way around the problem? Thanks.
Title: Re: Hardware Problem
Post by: AirNav Support on February 02, 2009, 08:38:31 AM
In device manager, is RadarBox found in the list, does it indicate its working properlly?
Title: Re: Hardware Problem
Post by: dca on February 02, 2009, 08:51:21 AM
yes, says "This device is working properly"
Title: Re: Hardware Problem
Post by: dca on February 02, 2009, 08:56:50 AM
I also have a green light indicating hardware connected.
Title: Re: Hardware Problem
Post by: Allocator on February 02, 2009, 11:30:40 AM
Just make sure that the driver is installed correctly - watch this video tutorial:

http://www.airnavsystems.com/radarbox/video/Drivers.wmv

Have you plugged the RadarBox USB lead into a different socket on your PC?
Title: Re: Hardware Problem
Post by: dca on February 02, 2009, 12:36:36 PM
Thanks for the reply Allocator, the USB lead is in the same socket as it has always been, I have tried others too. I am running 64 bit vista so have to bypass driver signatory at start up using F8. On my laptop which is running XP I cannot get a signal either. On both macxhines I have a green indicator showing hardware connected!
Title: Re: Hardware Problem
Post by: tarbat on February 02, 2009, 01:09:27 PM
Maybe check the antenna connection as well - just a thought.
Title: Re: Hardware Problem
Post by: Allocator on February 02, 2009, 01:13:33 PM
Yes, make sure that the centre pin of the antenna plug hasn't been pushed back into the plug.
Title: Re: Hardware Problem
Post by: dca on February 02, 2009, 02:30:26 PM
Thanks Guys, my antenna on my original supplied unit & my BNC to SMA connection both seem fine. I have tried both several times today (on PC & laptop) as well as reboots etc.
Still no luck- aaargh!
Title: Re: Hardware Problem
Post by: Allocator on February 02, 2009, 02:37:07 PM
Where are you?  There isn't a great deal of traffic around at the moment, even close to Heathrow!

Are you sure that you are using the same USB lead?  Not all leads are the same, I've got one that works with my camera, but not with Radarbox!
Title: Re: Hardware Problem
Post by: dca on February 02, 2009, 02:45:27 PM
I'm 10mn south of LGW (which is open) & have watching / listening to the delayed traffic holding for LHR on the network. Still the same supplied USB lead, it was working when I left it last night, this morning nothing! I thought it could have been due wx on my external arial but with the indoor one not working either I guess that rules that out!
Title: Re: Hardware Problem
Post by: dca on February 02, 2009, 02:46:24 PM
do you think theree would be any benefit in an uninstall / reinstall?
Title: Re: Hardware Problem
Post by: Allocator on February 02, 2009, 02:52:56 PM
No, not at all, but you can try if you like.  I still think that it might be down to the USB lead/antenna/driver.

If your external antenna has gone sick, is your standard antenna somewhere that it is actually going to pick traffic up?  Can you see any aircraft in the MyFlights list at all with "Get Flights from Network" unticked?  You have got "Process hardware flights" ticked?

I can't see any traffic at Gatwick from where I am close to Heathrow.
Title: Re: Hardware Problem
Post by: dca on February 02, 2009, 03:11:23 PM
Should be no problem in the standard antenna picking up as it did before I had the external. Nothing in My Flights & process hardware flights is ticked. If it was a driver issue would that be PC specific as neither my PC or laptop can get a signal response from the unit?
There is definitely enough local traffic on both LGW approach & sectors 18-22 that I am listening to which would be picked up.
I appreciate your help...
Title: Re: Hardware Problem
Post by: Allocator on February 02, 2009, 03:17:03 PM
You are assuming that you have the drive installed correctly on both PC's - which I', sure you have :-)

What version of the driver shows up when you use My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager etc?
Title: Re: Hardware Problem
Post by: AirNav Support on February 02, 2009, 03:26:04 PM
If this is something which happened today with your external antenna, I would wait for the snow to disspear and the snow showers.

We have a system in south london and with the snow falling reception was much less then it usually is.
Title: Re: Hardware Problem
Post by: dca on February 02, 2009, 03:52:58 PM
On my laptop 'AirNav Radar Box'  (Running XP) on my PC 'C/control panel/system/device manager/USB controllers it is also ANRB.
Title: Re: Hardware Problem
Post by: dca on February 02, 2009, 03:55:08 PM
Thanks AirNav, I thought that could be the case too, hence why I tried my supplied antenna indoors- the same result though, no signal (& this usually works too)
Title: Re: Hardware Problem
Post by: Allocator on February 02, 2009, 04:04:45 PM
Quote from: dca on February 02, 2009, 03:52:58 PM
On my laptop 'AirNav Radar Box'  (Running XP) on my PC 'C/control panel/system/device manager/USB controllers it is also ANRB.

It should not say ANRB, it should say AirNav RadarBox - is that what you mean?

But what is the version of the driver?

Device Manager > Universal Serial bus Controllers > Right Click on airNav RadarBox > select the Driver tab.  What does it say under Driver Date and Driver Version?
Title: Re: Hardware Problem
Post by: dca on February 02, 2009, 04:14:52 PM
Yes, was just abbreviating with ANRB!
Date is 26/06/2007 & version is 2.2.4.0
Title: Re: Hardware Problem
Post by: Allocator on February 02, 2009, 04:21:43 PM
OK, out of ideas now.

Have you tried a different USB lead?
Title: Re: Hardware Problem
Post by: dca on February 02, 2009, 04:25:20 PM
Yes have just tried different USB lead & same result.
Thanks for all your ideas, AirNav what should I do from here please?
Title: Re: Hardware Problem
Post by: AirNav Support on February 02, 2009, 04:29:53 PM
Ok first thing is wait untill heathrow is open and gatwick fully and the snow has stopped falling which should be tommorrow. If its the same result then contact support and we will tell you how to return the RadarBox.
Title: Re: Hardware Problem
Post by: tarbat on February 02, 2009, 04:30:39 PM
A guess there's a possibility that you suffered ESD on your external antenna during the recent extreme weather.  Were you using a DC-block with the external antenna.
Title: Re: Hardware Problem
Post by: dca on February 02, 2009, 04:32:27 PM
I guess as I don't know what a DC- block is then the answer is no. Is there any way to find out?
Title: Re: Hardware Problem
Post by: tarbat on February 02, 2009, 04:52:27 PM
Quote from: dca on February 02, 2009, 04:32:27 PM
I guess as I don't know what a DC- block is then the answer is no. Is there any way to find out?

Some info from Airnav here - http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=2037.msg17017#msg17017
Title: Re: Hardware Problem
Post by: Allocator on February 02, 2009, 07:25:30 PM
dca,

This is what my Radarbox LED's look like with the antenna disconnected - is this anything like your LED's are showing?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fGGC-EYL1DA
Title: Re: Hardware Problem
Post by: dca on February 02, 2009, 08:06:07 PM
That's exactly it Allocator, although for a period after it first failed the USB light was flashing rapidly. Now it is just blinking at a rate of every 1-1.5 seconds.
Title: Re: Hardware Problem
Post by: dca on February 03, 2009, 08:38:37 AM
Still not working this morning, I have sent a message via the support page as per AirNav request.
Thanks to Allocator & Tarbat again for their help.