AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: nbquidditch on June 08, 2009, 12:27:15 AM

Title: Little Help!
Post by: nbquidditch on June 08, 2009, 12:27:15 AM
hi guys.. Been out of the game for a little while so hav'nt been using my box of late! I turned it on for the first time in ages last Friday and all was working fine. However, a crash of my PC this weekend resulted in a complete factory reset. I've got everything up and running again but my RB will not show any of My Flights.
I've checked everything including the driver (I'm running Vista) and still no joy! The bottom left of the screen is green and showing Hardware Connected and my box itself is powered but the blue USB light just seems to be flashing only once every 2 seconds and no signal light is showing!! I've done 2 re-installs so far and tried 2 USB leads but no flights.
Can anyone help or point me to a relevent thread?

Cheers in advance.
Title: Re: Little Help!
Post by: dor4x on June 08, 2009, 05:22:08 AM
hmm.. maybe something with your antenna?
Title: Re: Little Help!
Post by: malc41 on June 08, 2009, 02:27:51 PM
Have you taken the SMA connector of the back of the box and checked you can see a little gold coloured pin stick out of the plug. Maybe you caught the lead from the aerial and its pulled the centre core out and so not makng a connection with the RB

Title: Re: Little Help!
Post by: nbquidditch on June 08, 2009, 05:36:47 PM
Hi thanks for the response Malc. I've unscrewed the aerial lead out of the back of the box. There is a gold pin which sticks out from the cable but not one that comes out of the box. It looks like the pin from the lead fits into a small gold hole in the RB connector. Is this what you mean?
Title: Re: Little Help!
Post by: malc41 on June 09, 2009, 08:42:00 AM
Yes the pin comes out of the cable. It fits into the little hole in the socket on the box. If the cable gets tugged sometimes it pulls back and there is not enough pin showing to make contact when you screw the SMA connector onto the box. Its worth holding the SMA connector (unscrewed from the box) and giving the cable a gentle push towards the connector. Sometime it pushes the pin further out.

I have found this is my usual problem if everything else seems to be working OK.

As you say you are getting a green connected light, and the blue light is flashing so it seems everything else is working. As dor4x says it points to aerial
Title: Re: Little Help!
Post by: flightchecker on June 09, 2009, 09:03:30 AM
QuoteI have found this is my usual problem if everything else seems to be working OK.


Don't know if this is the reason for nbquidditch's RB problem as well, but as it happens very often indeed, it is a poor reputation for a product, that is claimed  to be........ etc.etc.
I've seen thousands of SMA (& APC 3.5 [its "aristocratic relative"]) connectors and cables tailored with, but NEVER seen ONE, whose inner connector retracted by pulling on the attached coax. AirNav should immediatly talk to their supplier to stop that. The antenna is "part" of their product, not a vendors "add on".
Karl
Title: Re: Little Help!
Post by: malc41 on June 09, 2009, 11:11:16 AM
Yes I agree, but I think that rather than see all the bad points, we really should start to give the product a break.

I am sure that everybody is more than aware of the little problems that we have with the RB, but I personally get an enormous amount of pleasure and interest form this product.

Development and support are always there to pop their help and assistance and there is a wealth of forum users that can supply almost everything from aerials through to SQL etc.

Lets enjoy the hobby, appreciate the hard work that goes on in the background and of course keep the comments coming so that this forum can flourish
Title: Re: Little Help!
Post by: nbquidditch on June 09, 2009, 04:02:45 PM
Hi Malc, have tried your suggestion with no effect! I'm passing a maplins tomorrow so I think I'll buy a new aerial and if that fails will go through the procedure of sending it back to W&B, although I mailed W&B 2 days ago and haven't heard back as yet!
Title: Re: Little Help!
Post by: radarspotter10 on June 09, 2009, 04:13:02 PM
Quote from: malc41 on June 09, 2009, 11:11:16 AM
Yes I agree, but I think that rather than see all the bad points, we really should start to give the product a break.

I am sure that everybody is more than aware of the little problems that we have with the RB, but I personally get an enormous amount of pleasure and interest form this product.

Development and support are always there to pop their help and assistance and there is a wealth of forum users that can supply almost everything from aerials through to SQL etc.

Lets enjoy the hobby, appreciate the hard work that goes on in the background and of course keep the comments coming so that this forum can flourish

agreed with your post arinav have come a long way this year to pleasing users
and we got to thank them for that.
pat
Title: Re: Little Help!
Post by: daveg4otu on June 09, 2009, 05:33:27 PM
I mailed W&B 2 days ago and haven't heard back as yet!


Phone them!
Title: Re: Little Help!
Post by: nbquidditch on June 09, 2009, 09:57:25 PM
Thanks Dave already done!! By the way I'm fully behind your quote Malc on Airnav!!
Title: Re: Little Help!
Post by: puddy on June 10, 2009, 03:06:39 AM
Quote from: nbquidditch on June 08, 2009, 12:27:15 AM
a crash of my PC this weekend resulted in a complete factory reset. I've got everything up and running again but my RB will not show any of My Flights.
I've checked everything including the driver (I'm running Vista) and still no joy! .

I know you said you checked the driver but have you manually installed the driver on its own after reloading RB software ?

I had the same issue and it solved it
Title: Re: Little Help!
Post by: malc41 on June 10, 2009, 08:00:04 AM
Puddy

can we clear up the driver problem. When you say you have installed them manually, just where and what did you install
Title: Re: Little Help!
Post by: nbquidditch on June 10, 2009, 08:06:27 AM
Hi Paddy, can I also confirm!! Not sure what you mean??
Title: Re: Little Help!
Post by: puddy on June 11, 2009, 11:00:06 AM
My laptop went in for repair so installed my RB on my mrs laptop and I ran the RB software. But it did not install the RB usb driver  and would not show any aircraft I thought the box was dead.  So I tracked  down the usb driver in the RB folder in programs files then found the usb driver (ftdibus) double clicked it and all was fine again. ingnore the warning window vista pops up

It seems when installing the software it doesn't always run the usb driver properly,

its worth a try before sending the box in for repair

Michael
ps I am using windows Vista Ultimate edition
Title: Re: Little Help!
Post by: nbquidditch on June 11, 2009, 06:28:18 PM
Hi Puddy, tried this but all that happens is that (ftdibus) comes up in notepad!! No installation happens!!
Title: Re: Little Help!
Post by: bearcat on June 11, 2009, 06:45:52 PM
Hi

Just to be sure did you install the software as suggested in FAQ, if not are you running it as an administrator.

Just my thoughts

Stewart
Title: Re: Little Help!
Post by: puddy on June 11, 2009, 09:05:32 PM
hope this helps

plug your radar box in you my get a pop up box with 3 fix's just close it down and try my fix below

Go Device manager right click on the AirNav logo> AirNav Radar box comes up choose update driver software> box pops up choose browse my computer for driver software  click that >next box choose next it point to the correct detail on c:\programs etc>click next 2 pop up boxes appear one will say don't install this driver software ignore that and click install this driver software anyway  job done



Kind regards

Michael
aka puddy
Title: Re: Little Help!
Post by: nbquidditch on June 11, 2009, 09:31:07 PM
Before I try the driver again I've managed to get a few aircraft coming up. I only get about 2 unlike the 50+ I'm used to and they literally have to be overhead! Surely if I'm getting something it has to be something else other than the driver??
Title: Re: Little Help!
Post by: malc41 on June 12, 2009, 09:21:04 AM
Sounds more and more like the saw filter problem. It could be your box has gone deaf.
Title: Re: Little Help!
Post by: AirNav Support on June 12, 2009, 10:01:48 AM
nbquidditch,

Contact us via our signature and we will test your box.
Title: Re: Little Help!
Post by: Allocator on June 12, 2009, 12:17:19 PM
Quote from: malc41 on June 12, 2009, 09:21:04 AM
Sounds more and more like the saw filter problem. It could be your box has gone deaf.

There is more than driver that will work with RadarBox - the wrong driver will work, but it just won't work properly.
Title: Re: Little Help!
Post by: nbquidditch on June 12, 2009, 02:13:49 PM
Hi Arnav support! I'm a bit confused? What do you mean by contact you via your signature??
Title: Re: Little Help!
Post by: Allocator on June 12, 2009, 02:14:52 PM
Quote from: nbquidditch on June 12, 2009, 02:13:49 PM
Hi Arnav support! I'm a bit confused? What do you mean by contact you via your signature??

See the bottom of their reply :-)

Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]
Title: Re: Little Help!
Post by: nbquidditch on June 28, 2009, 10:16:24 AM
Hi, a big thank you to support!! Got my RB back in 7 days and it's working as new once more:)
Apparently it was the filters....
Title: Re: Little Help!
Post by: Allocator on June 28, 2009, 10:20:04 AM
Welcome back to the 'there's just not enough time in the day to do all those jobs and to sit and watch RadarBox' club :-)