AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: pjm on September 06, 2009, 07:47:28 AM

Title: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: pjm on September 06, 2009, 07:47:28 AM
Another weird problem with the beta

I'm getting every alert twice - even in the log screen they appear twice (see below)

I have set a couple of different alert types, and whenever one of the conditions is triggered I get 2x pop-ups and 2x emails for the alert.

(http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/9526/20090906174631.jpg)
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: EMA on September 06, 2009, 07:55:50 AM
Not seeing that here.
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: Allocator on September 06, 2009, 08:10:16 AM
PJM, maybe that is because you are getting an alert on VH-OJK and on all A380 aircraft.

Effectively, you have got the 'same' aircraft set to alert by Registration AND Type and I think that this is confusing RB?

You are right, it shouldn't happen like this though.

P.S. be careful with screen shots that show personal stuff like email addresses.
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: pjm on September 06, 2009, 09:57:28 AM
Quote from: Allocator on September 06, 2009, 08:10:16 AM
PJM, maybe that is because you are getting an alert on VH-OJK and on all A380 aircraft.

Effectively, you have got the 'same' aircraft set to alert by Registration AND Type and I think that this is confusing RB

Not sure if I understand your reply.  VH-OJK is an B744 not an A380 if that was what you meant. Otherwise I'm not sure what you're trying to get at.

fwiw I wouldn't have posted a screenshot with my email address in the public forum, but then again I have some pretty good spam filtering, so not much harm to be done :)
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: Allocator on September 06, 2009, 01:01:16 PM
Sorry - brain fade :-)

Don't know what made me think that VH-OJK was an A380 - too early on a Sunday morning!
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: pjm on September 12, 2009, 04:43:31 AM
I'm still receiving duplicate alerts with the latest beta.

I've gone so far to remove RB totally & reinstall. I've only restored the 2x *.db3 files & D012.dat & D008.dat, but that hasn't resolved anything.

Now I've added some wildcard flightid's to the alert panel and this is where it gets interesting :)

I don't get duplicate alerts for the "Flight ID"'s only "Aircraft" (and maybe Registrations - but I haven't seen that plane recently so not sure about that one.

(http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/5885/20090912143331.jpg)

(http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/2622/20090912144217.jpg)

Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: Allocator on September 12, 2009, 06:34:51 AM
If you scroll down your Aircraft alert box, can you confirm that you only have B744, A80 etc entered once?
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: tarbat on September 12, 2009, 06:41:50 AM
Even better, exit Radarbox and then check the contents of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AirNav Systems\ANRB\1\General\memo4text in the Registry.

There must be something different about your alerts setup that's causing this.  I have several Aircraft Type alerts setup, and don't see duplicates.

(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2637/3911862008_781556827f_o.jpg)
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: pjm on September 12, 2009, 07:15:05 AM
Quote from: Allocator on September 12, 2009, 06:34:51 AM
If you scroll down your Aircraft alert box, can you confirm that you only have B744, A80 etc entered once?

Confirmed - everything is only there once. Even more bizarre now I have just received only 1 alert for an A380 now! Now it seems to be randomly duplicate!

(http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/8207/20090912171321.jpg)

Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: pjm on September 12, 2009, 07:18:17 AM
Quote from: tarbat on September 12, 2009, 06:41:50 AM
Even better, exit Radarbox and then check the contents of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AirNav Systems\ANRB\1\General\memo4text in the Registry.

pretty much same as before (just the new options)....

(http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/5189/20090912171657.jpg)
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: tarbat on September 12, 2009, 07:22:19 AM
pjm, I just wonder why the registry on your PC shows those little square symbols in the key text, whereas mine doesn't?  Probably nothing to do with the problem, but it's strange.
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: Allocator on September 12, 2009, 07:30:26 AM
I've got the little squares too, so probably unrelated?

On the other hand, the squares seem to be a divider, so maybe squares AFTER the entry are a bad thing?  PJM, try deleting 'blank spaces' after your entries in the alert boxes.
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: pjm on September 12, 2009, 07:32:47 AM
Quote from: tarbat on September 12, 2009, 07:22:19 AM
pjm, I just wonder why the registry on your PC shows those little square symbols in the key text, whereas mine doesn't?  Probably nothing to do with the problem, but it's strange.

Maybe something to do with Windows default font or codeset? I also have ALL the Windows special/fancy effects turned OFF to speed up graphic performance.

fyi the little squares are non displayable characters (cr/lf in this instance)

(http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/8083/20090912173058.jpg)

Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: tarbat on September 12, 2009, 07:36:49 AM
Quote from: Allocator on September 12, 2009, 07:30:26 AMOn the other hand, the squares seem to be a divider, so maybe squares AFTER the entry are a bad thing?  PJM, try deleting 'blank spaces' after your entries in the alert boxes.

Good idea.  Didn't this cause a problem with alerts ages ago?
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: Allocator on September 12, 2009, 07:37:54 AM
I'm sure that it did.
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: AirNav Development on September 14, 2009, 03:54:57 AM
Regarding this problem, does it exist or not? We don't confirm it here, too.
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: pjm on September 14, 2009, 06:46:40 AM
Quote from: AirNav Development on September 14, 2009, 03:54:57 AM
Regarding this problem, does it exist or not? We don't confirm it here, too.

Ok - well its still happening here - so if I can help you track it down somehow let me know. Seems to only be me with the problem in this group though.

I've tried all the previous suggestions with no effect.
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: EMA on September 14, 2009, 08:18:13 AM
So far I have seen no duplicate alerts with this version.
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: pjm on September 14, 2009, 08:36:42 AM
Actually something has changed now. I'm now getting the duplicate alerts just once, but then I never get any alerts for that type aircraft again, until I restart RB??
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: AirNav Development on September 14, 2009, 02:43:37 PM
PJM: I believe you are doing something wrong as this problem has never been reported by any other user. Please contact our support as they might be able to help you with this one.
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: pjm on September 16, 2009, 06:24:37 AM
Quote from: AirNav Development on September 14, 2009, 02:43:37 PM
PJM: I believe you are doing something wrong as this problem has never been reported by any other user. Please contact our support as they might be able to help you with this one.

I've sent you an email.

As suggested I have installed Radarbox on another machine from scratch using the CD supplied with my hardware and overwritten ANRB.exe with the latest beta v3.04 and hand entered all my settings. No files coped across.

Duplicate alerts within minutes!

Strange how this is not happening to anyone else...
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: EMA on September 16, 2009, 06:45:40 AM
Have you tried using another email address to see what happens? One from a different provider would help isolate issues.
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: pjm on September 16, 2009, 07:06:51 AM
Quote from: EMA on September 16, 2009, 06:45:40 AM
Have you tried using another email address to see what happens? One from a different provider would help isolate issues.

How so? I don't receive duplicate emails from anyone else?, not even AirNav - only these RB alerts.

FWIW my email is hosted by google apps. If google can't get it right who can?
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: EMA on September 16, 2009, 07:19:53 AM
Well it does not hurt to try another account or send the alerts to a friend and see what happens.

Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: abrad41 on September 16, 2009, 07:22:42 AM
pjm

Send them too me and we can see what happens, [email protected]

I never have e-mailed alerts, but I just tried it and everything is ok here.

Andy
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: pjm on September 16, 2009, 07:43:50 AM
Quote from: EMA on September 16, 2009, 07:19:53 AM
Well it does not hurt to try another account or send the alerts to a friend and see what happens.

The thing is I'm receiving duplicate popups and alert sounds as well.. I really doubt its anything to do with a particular email address
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: pjm on September 16, 2009, 07:46:23 AM
Quote from: abrad41 on September 16, 2009, 07:22:42 AM
Send them too me and we can see what happens, [email protected]

OK - I'm sending them to you now - I'll revert to my email address after a couple of (duplicate hopefully) alerts have been sent..
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: EMA on September 16, 2009, 07:56:16 AM
Quote from: pjm on September 16, 2009, 07:43:50 AM
Quote from: EMA on September 16, 2009, 07:19:53 AM
Well it does not hurt to try another account or send the alerts to a friend and see what happens.

The thing is I'm receiving duplicate popups and alert sounds as well.. I really doubt its anything to do with a particular email address

I appreciate that but as you said you are the only one with this issue.
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: abrad41 on September 16, 2009, 08:01:15 AM
Pjm

You had any alerts, not received any at that address yet.

Andy
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: abrad41 on September 16, 2009, 08:05:41 AM
Pjm & AirNav

I can confirm I received dulicate alerts for B744 - 9V-SPP.

Andy
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: pjm on September 16, 2009, 08:48:42 AM
Quote from: abrad41 on September 16, 2009, 08:05:41 AM
I can confirm I received dulicate alerts for B744 - 9V-SPP.

Yes - just looked 2 x alerts for the B744. Thats another side effect of the last 2 or so beta's. It'll send the (duplicate) alert only once, then never again for that aircraft type until I restart RadarBox, so I see more B744's on the interface screen, but RB isn't alerting for them any more.

I'll let it run a bit longer before I revert to my email address. Its also set to alert for A320 or A380's..

Actually I just heard some more alerts....

yep - you should have a couple of emails for an A320...

Will revert to my email address now....
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: tarbat on September 16, 2009, 08:55:16 AM
Just to check - did you remove the extra cr/lf on the end of your alert setups?

And what are your timeout settings?

I see from your registry that you have other Airnav software running.  Any chance that may be interacting with Radarbox alerts?
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: pjm on September 16, 2009, 08:59:35 AM
Quote from: tarbat on September 16, 2009, 08:55:16 AM
Just to check - did you remove the extra cr/lf on the end of your alert setups?

yep - thats all done, didn't make any difference....

fyi here are the 2 duplicate popup alerts just sent to abrad41

(http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/2117/68603000.jpg)

QuoteAnd what are your timeout settings?

On the original XP install they are 30/30. I've left them at default on the Vista install so 30/60
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: pjm on September 16, 2009, 09:00:57 AM
Quote from: tarbat on September 16, 2009, 08:55:16 AM
I see from your registry that you have other Airnav software running.  Any chance that may be interacting with Radarbox alerts?

Thats the AirNav ACARS decoder - also only running on the XP install - not installed on this Vista one.
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: tarbat on September 16, 2009, 09:02:22 AM
And the other one just off the bottom of the screenshot?  Looks like ANCT or something.

I wonder if this alert problem could have anything to do with timezones?
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: pjm on September 16, 2009, 09:08:27 AM
Quote from: tarbat on September 16, 2009, 09:02:22 AM
And the other one just off the bottom of the screenshot?  Looks like ANCT or something.

ANST - No idea what that is - I haven't installed any other AirNav software - the registry key has a subkey called 4x, but apart from that is empty anyway. It doesn't exist on the Vista machine.
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: GlynH on September 16, 2009, 04:54:47 PM
Quote from: pjm on September 16, 2009, 09:00:57 AM
Thats the AirNav ACARS decoder - also only running on the XP install - not installed on this Vista one.

Have you tried ANAD together with the latest ANRB Beta?

For me it was like regressing back to v1.4 what with window resizing problems affecting ANAD (we are well past that in ANRB hopefully) and even instances of clicking the ANAD in the toolbar and having the ANRB window resizing!

http://www.screencast.com/t/OWybgDgv

Obviously not as important as resolving the ANRB Beta but just doing the honourable Beta thing and reporting what I find...;^)

Just wondering if it were me out on a limb once again?

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: tarbat on September 16, 2009, 05:44:19 PM
Quote from: pjm on September 16, 2009, 09:08:27 AMI wonder if this alert problem could have anything to do with timezones?

Did you pursue this at all?  What timezone do you run on?  Might be worth trying UTC as an experiment.
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: pjm on September 16, 2009, 08:13:47 PM
Quote from: GlynH on September 16, 2009, 04:54:47 PM
Quote from: pjm on September 16, 2009, 09:00:57 AM
Thats the AirNav ACARS decoder - also only running on the XP install - not installed on this Vista one.

Have you tried ANAD together with the latest ANRB Beta?-

I've had it running constantly on XP (and with the latest beta) and not noticed any problems like you're seeing. When I plug the RB back into the XP machine I'll connect it again.

I thought it was probably best not to install anything extra on the Vista machine while trying to sort out the alert problem...

QuoteObviously not as important as resolving the ANRB Beta but just doing the honourable Beta thing and reporting what I find...;^)

Indeed - that's why they are paying us the big bikkies :)
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: pjm on September 16, 2009, 08:15:13 PM
Quote from: tarbat on September 16, 2009, 05:44:19 PM
Quote from: pjm on September 16, 2009, 09:08:27 AMI wonder if this alert problem could have anything to do with timezones?
Did you pursue this at all?  What timezone do you run on?  Might be worth trying UTC as an experiment.

Not yet - I'll try it when I get home tonight.
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: pjm on September 17, 2009, 10:03:29 PM
Well I must say this duplicate alert thing is VERY FRUSTRATING!! :)

I've tried the timezone thing and it had inconsistent results, from not getting ANY alerts until after a reboot, to the usual state of multiple (one time) alerts.

I realised most if not all of my installs had been from the base software CD received with my RB which is v2.01. I've now downloaded all the FULL install packages so have v2.0, v2.01, v3.0b and v3.01b (last one is over 100mb).

I've tried to do fresh installs of all of them, but when "uninstalling" Radarbox there is always files left behind and also registry entries so if anyone can tell me how to do a total RB removal I'll give that a shot, as I'm still getting random and weird results, but this is what I've done.

Using the old version full installs and not updating the ANRB.exe

Uninstall RB and install v2.0 - I get a single alert for each aircraft
Uninstall RB and install v2.01 - I get a multiple alerts alerts for each aircraft (except A380!)
Uninstall RB and install v3.0b - I get a single alert for each aircraft
Uninstall RB and install v3.01b - I get a single alert for each aircraft

I then updates the last full install with the latest v3.04b and get the multiple alerts again.

The really weird thing is that I'm now only being alerted ONE TIME for each aircraft type (including the multiple alerts) FOR ALL 5 VERSIONS installed. After being emailed for the initial sighting (be it single or multiple alerts) I never get any alerts (popup/sound/email) for that type of aircraft again. I previously received the alerts each time a new aircraft was detected, so this is really confusing.. even more so because its happening on both machines!

for now I've had enough. If someone can advise me how to totally remove all traces of RB from my machine I'll try again, one of the full installs (not v2.01) and the latest beta, but otherwise I just seem to be going around in circles.....
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: AirNav Development on September 18, 2009, 02:06:49 AM
We have explained the situation by email. Basically if you have an aircraft:
G-BNLA which is a B744

And you have an alert set for G-BNLA and B744 you will get 2 alerts as two 2 fields match.
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: pjm on September 18, 2009, 06:46:50 AM
Quote from: AirNav Development on September 18, 2009, 02:06:49 AMAnd you have an alert set for G-BNLA and B744 you will get 2 alerts as two 2 fields match.

Unfortunately I don't have an alert for G-BLNA so that's not the cause of the problem. The B744 that I got the alerts for  wasn't VH-OJK  (althought that is a B744 as well). Likewise when I got the alerts for VH-OJK there were no alerts for the B744.

In reply #32 above you can see I have 2 alerts for B744 9V-SPP and A320 VH-VNG, neither of the registrations are in my alert list.

(http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/8404/20090918164126.jpg)

Also it doesn't explain why after I have received 1 (or a duplicate pair) of alerts I get no more for that aircraft type.

e.g. I got a (duplicate) alert for an A320 last night. In the following 10 minutes I saw about 4 other A320's but no alerts. I've just got home now, and since the 4 sets of alerts that were send last night I have not received a single other alert. You can bet there have been plenty of A320's B744's and the odd A380 detected but not alerted in the last 20 or so hours.
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: tarbat on September 18, 2009, 08:02:21 AM
Is anyone else getting this duplicate and missing alert problem?  If there is, can you establish anything common between you that's different to other users.

As a test, I've added A* and B* to my Aircraft Type alerts.  I don't get any duplicate alerts, and I continue to get alerts for every aircraft that appears.

(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2434/3930396047_61e7acbd07.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarbat/3930396047/sizes/o/)
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: pjm on September 18, 2009, 12:09:46 PM
So I've uninstalled RB yet again.

This time I also deleted the whole "C:\Program Files\AirNav Systems\AirNav RadarBox 2009" directory and any remnants that were left.

I've also removed AirNav Systems\ANRB registry entry

and rebooted.

You'd think I have a clean system now...

Reinstall RB 3.01b and the latest 3.04b ANRB.exe

and the result?

SAME AS BEFORE!!!!! :(


so looking at tarbat screen above I've done some more tests.

1) I unticked the "send an email" alert. Interestingly now I'm only getting single audible and screen notification messages.

To me this indicates a conflict somewhere with the email routines and the duplicate alerts.

2) I took tarbats idea of A* and B* wildcards, and used them for the "Aircraft" alert and got rid of the specific types.

I'm still only getting a single alert for every type of aircraft,  but I'm getting one for every different type. e.g. I have alerts for "one and only one" A320, B734, A380, B763, B738, A332, B773, A321, B737, A333. i.e. I've seen multiple examples of these types in the interface screen, but am only getting alerted once per type.

To me this indicates RB is building a table somewhere and once it has sent 1 alert for a particular aircraft, its not sending any more for that type.


AirNav Development - over to you - is this any help?
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: EMA on September 18, 2009, 12:29:00 PM
Okay

To add to PJM's post, I use email alerts with no problems. I set aircraft to A* and B* and receive an email alert for each type as they are detected.

I then enabled show notification as well and now I have two alerts for each aircraft detected.

Kevin
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: AirNav Development on September 18, 2009, 02:52:50 PM
Maybe we didn't understand correctly: can you confirm all is working as expected?
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: AirNav Development on September 18, 2009, 02:54:40 PM
PJM: explaining again what you are getting is not an error. If an aircraft meets more than one condition in the alert fields you will get more than one alert for the same aircraft.
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: pjm on September 18, 2009, 11:54:38 PM
Quote from: AirNav Development on September 18, 2009, 02:54:40 PMIf an aircraft meets more than one condition in the alert fields you will get more than one alert for the same aircraft.

I don't believe the aircraft are meeting more than one condition. I believe the only condition they are meeting is the Aircraft type.

There is only 1 aircraft in the entire database that would meet 2 conditions and that is a B744 with registration VH-OJK, but I get the duplicates with all types.

Currently I have email alerts disabled and everything is working as expected.

After reading EMA's posts above I'm going to swap the switches - i.e. turn notifications off & email on and see what happens.
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: pjm on September 19, 2009, 01:05:21 AM
Strange things happening with email now - possibly problems with the email server again?

Also I haven't been able to email yesterdays log to me.

(http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/3825/20090919110201.jpg)
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: pjm on September 19, 2009, 02:59:56 AM
Quote from: pjm on September 19, 2009, 01:05:21 AM
Strange things happening with email now - possibly problems with the email server again?

Never mind - I just saw you post in the v3.05 thread about the problems with the mail server.

I'll do some more testing once its back in business again.
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: AirNav Development on September 19, 2009, 06:51:39 AM
Tks. The duplicate condition that is happening is not being reported by any other beta tester so it has to be something related to your alert setup. Check only one alert option (for example only by registration), set only one alert method and let us know if the problem continues.
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: EMA on September 19, 2009, 07:33:44 AM
I can confirm that in my case if I set mulitple alerts I get multiple notifications for the same aircraft if I just set play sound and show notification I only get one alert.

I presume that is how it should work?
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: AirNav Development on September 19, 2009, 08:44:42 AM
It is the way it should work.
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: abrad41 on September 19, 2009, 08:51:19 AM
AirNav

Have you resolved your e-mail/server problems, I am not getting any e-mail notifications.

Andy
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: AirNav Development on September 19, 2009, 08:55:49 AM
Not yet unfortunately. We are still waiting for our ISP answer to this. It is their firewall that is causing the problem. We hope we have it solved in 2 hours.
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: pjm on September 19, 2009, 08:58:12 AM
Quote from: AirNav Development on September 19, 2009, 08:44:42 AM
It is the way it should work.

Just so I've got this right.

If I select A320 as the only alert type like so
(http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/4272/20090919185232.jpg)

Then I select email alerts
(http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/7236/20090919185309.jpg)

All works correctly and I get just a single email alert

Then if I also select popup notifications as well
(http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9072/20090919185337.jpg)

I am supposed to get TWO email alerts for the same A320?

If this is working as designed you can blow me down with a feather!
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: Allocator on September 19, 2009, 09:03:09 AM
I only get one email alert with these settings.
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: EMA on September 19, 2009, 09:08:54 AM
PJM

I can confirm that I get the same as you.
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: pjm on September 19, 2009, 09:11:59 AM
Quote from: AirNav Development on September 19, 2009, 08:55:49 AM
Not yet unfortunately. We are still waiting for our ISP answer to this. It is their firewall that is causing the problem. We hope we have it solved in 2 hours.

While we are on this topic, what is the rationale for all email alerts to go via the AirNav email server?

Wouldn't it make sense to allow the users to set their own, or their ISPs SMTP server like we do for all other emails we send?
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: pjm on September 19, 2009, 09:13:10 AM
Quote from: EMA on September 19, 2009, 09:08:54 AM
I can confirm that I get the same as you.

Thank goodness for that, I'll tell the little white men I'm not ready to go to the Asylum just yet :)
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: EMA on September 19, 2009, 09:14:04 AM
Can you book an extra place ;-)
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: AirNav Development on September 19, 2009, 09:28:43 AM
Maybe we are not getting this one correctly but please confirm the following is happening:
1- Imagine you have an aircraft which is a B777 registration ABCDE;
2- YOu setup the alerts to receive an email at your inbox;
3- The conditions you have specified are: B777 on the aircraft type box and regostration ABCDE on the registration box;

If you receive ABCDE RadarBox will trigger an alert. As this aircraft is a B777 and you also checked to be alerted when a B777 is received you will receive another email with the same details for this aircraft. This explains  the duplicate alert. Two conditions met for the same aircraft.

Are we correct? Maybe it's ourselves that really need to go to the Asylum! :-) LOL
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: EMA on September 19, 2009, 09:29:41 AM
Okay I have play sound and send email selected I get no notification and at the moment no email possibly the email server.

I select Play sound, Show Notification and send email and I get two notifications per aircraft but again at the moment no email.

The only alert I have is aircraft type B*
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: Allocator on September 19, 2009, 09:33:58 AM
Have you got any blank spaces after  the B* entry?  Can you move the cursor down to the next (blank) line in the alert setting box?

I'm failing to reproduce this at the moment, just getting single alerts.
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: Allocator on September 19, 2009, 09:41:43 AM
I've got B* set in the aircraft alerts box.  Getting single alert notifications (no email server at the moment) and when I clicked the 'Activate alerts for Network aircraft' I got a very rapid 15 'hits', but no duplicates.

Running Windows XP
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: EMA on September 19, 2009, 09:42:00 AM
Hi Allocator

No blank spaces

I changed it to A* for the airbus and the same every time it sees a A* a get a single alert when just alert selected and two alerts when I have email and alerts selected.

I have no other alert types selected.

No emails are coming through so must me the mail server.
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: EMA on September 19, 2009, 09:43:35 AM
Running business vista 32 on a Dell Vostro standard build, no bloatware :-)
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: Allocator on September 19, 2009, 09:44:54 AM
I've got sound and notification messages ticked.
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: EMA on September 19, 2009, 09:48:21 AM
See attached
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: pjm on September 19, 2009, 09:49:38 AM
No blank spaces here - after the last post I restarted RB, so I have a clean slate to start from.

I've also removed ALL triggers except A320.

I have received 1 only A320 sighting, but as I had both check boxes ticked 2 alerts were generated (popups, sounds and in the log screen capture. Likewise I haven't received the email alerts, but if the mail server was working I'm sure I'd have 2 alerts for this single A320 sighting.

(http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/9431/20090919194532.jpg)
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: pjm on September 19, 2009, 09:58:04 AM
Quote from: Allocator on September 19, 2009, 09:41:43 AM
when I clicked the 'Activate alerts for Network aircraft' I got a very rapid 15 'hits', but no duplicates.

Running Windows XP

I don't get the duplicates for Network flights either, only local ones.

Also running XP SP3 here.
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: GlynH on September 19, 2009, 10:04:28 AM
Quote from: pjm on September 19, 2009, 09:11:59 AM
[quote author=AirNav Development link=topic=3341.msg32590#msg32590
While we are on this topic, what is the rationale for all email alerts to go via the AirNav email server?

Wouldn't it make sense to allow the users to set their own, or their ISPs SMTP server like we do for all other emails we send?

Hallelujah.

I have been asking for this for a long time.

I do not understand why this even has to go anywhere near AirNav Servers...to me it is just one more unecessary link in the chain that is prone to errors.

A bit like playing Chinese Whispers as a kid...:-/

At best there is always a delay - at worst the email doesn't get through.

It would also reduce the load on AirNavs servers and be one less aspect for them to maintain...Win-Win all round if you ask me.

It has to be a simple task to be able to specify any email server the user prefer. Many Add-Ins I have on WHS allow you to specify an email server of your choice along with seender, recipient, subject etc. etc.

That way you have control over who the email comes from by being able to specify the email address.

I mean I sent an Alert 15 minutes ago and it has not hit my ISP yet.

Can't even tell if Alerts are working properly for me if I don't receive the email to begin with...

An Aircraft can cover a lot of ground in 15 minutes and so it is not much of an Alert really is it...more of a history lesson!

How about it AirNav - maybe not mess with 3.05 Beta/Public Beta but when the dust settles include it in the Public Release?

I remember posting this before a couple of times but here is one;

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=2958.msg29175#msg29175

See also attached picture for example of a well thought Remote Notification program.

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: tarbat on September 19, 2009, 10:15:45 AM
Quote from: GlynH on September 19, 2009, 10:04:28 AMHow about it AirNav - maybe not mess with 3.05 Beta/Public Beta but when the dust settles include it in the Public Release?

Please don't delay v3.05 public beta for another feature request.  We need to get v3.0? out to public beta asap.

Glyn, why not add this request to the Future Version Suggestions / Requests thread - http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=2885.0
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: Allocator on September 19, 2009, 10:20:39 AM
Glyn, you might have read that the AirNav mail server is having problems at the moment, so you won't get any email alerts until it's up again.
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: GlynH on September 19, 2009, 10:30:53 AM
Quote from: pjm on September 19, 2009, 09:58:04 AM
I don't get the duplicates for Network flights either, only local ones.

Also running XP SP3 here.

Well for once I can confirm I am not currently getting duplicate alerts here like you show in the screenshot above Peter and I have the same boxes checked as you do.

I also have a lot of Alerts setup.

That is strange...maybe a second entry or something hanging around in the registry?

Regards,
-=Glyn=-
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: GlynH on September 19, 2009, 10:32:47 AM
Quote from: Allocator on September 19, 2009, 10:20:39 AM
Glyn, you might have read that the AirNav mail server is having problems at the moment, so you won't get any email alerts until it's up again.

Yes I do realise that Gary but the whole point of my post was to bypass the AirNav servers so killing this problem at a stroke...it is not the first time (nor the last time I suspect) that there will be problems and to me it seems like an unecessary link in the chain.

It only serves to highlights my example...

Regards,
-=Glyn=-
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: GlynH on September 19, 2009, 10:57:05 AM
Quote from: tarbat on September 19, 2009, 10:15:45 AM
Please don't delay v3.05 public beta for another feature request.  We need to get v3.0? out to public beta asap.

Glyn, why not add this request to the Future Version Suggestions / Requests thread - http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=2885.0


That's exactly what I meant...and exactly what I  have done :-)

Quote from: GlynH on September 19, 2009, 10:04:28 AMHow about it AirNav - maybe not mess with 3.05 Beta/Public Beta but when the dust settles include it in the Public Release?

Meant not to mess with 3.05 Beta/Public Beta but when the dust settles include it in a finished version.[/quote]


Quote from: tarbat on September 19, 2009, 10:15:45 AM
Glyn, why not add this request to the Future Version Suggestions / Requests thread - http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=2885.0

Already done...see suggestions under 11. Interestingly at the time of that post in June I read that I had submitted that very list a year previous;

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=2885.msg25713#msg25713

Regards,
-=Glyn=-
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: GlynH on September 19, 2009, 03:53:53 PM
I see the RSS feed is back on as it was showing nothing here for me all morning but is the email server working correctly yet?

It's just that I never received the email alerts or log from this morning and about 10 minutes ago I tried to send some more logs and alerts and I have not received those either?

Regards,
-=Glyn=-
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: AirNav Development on September 20, 2009, 01:06:04 AM
Email alerts should be working again now. Anyway we still have problems with our email server (incoming email). It will take 24 hours for the new email DNS settings to propagate so the problems.

Regarding this duplicate alerts problem: any user experiencing it adding to PJM?
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: pjm on September 20, 2009, 02:17:20 AM
Quote from: pjm on September 19, 2009, 08:58:12 AM
(http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9072/20090919185337.jpg)

I am supposed to get TWO email alerts for the same A320?

OK - More testing and I can confirm I only get the duplicate alerts when BOTH


are checked. Turning either of them off and I only get a single alert.
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: EMA on September 20, 2009, 07:52:38 AM
I can confirm the same as PJM above.
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: tarbat on September 20, 2009, 08:09:37 AM
This morning I setup RB with several alerts, and turned on PLAY A SOUND, SHOW A NOTIFICATION MESSAGE, and SEND AN EMAIL.

Since then I've had many alerts, none of them duplicates.  Strange.  I'm not denying there's a problem, but there must be something specific to the PC/RB setup that's causing this.  Or does it only happen on a certain TYPE of alert?

(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3486/3935995751_e784680e3d.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarbat/3935995751/sizes/o/)
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: EMA on September 20, 2009, 08:21:14 AM
This problem does not bother me but I am sure it will be grabbed by the horns on public release.

I only use notification normally the only reason I set email alerts was to replicate PJM.
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: abrad41 on September 20, 2009, 10:03:29 AM
No problems with duplicates at my end.

Set up below.

Andy
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: RodBearden on September 20, 2009, 11:13:17 AM
I'm not getting any duplicate alerts, either, but email alerts still aren't working.

Rod
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: tarbat on September 20, 2009, 11:17:28 AM
Quote from: RodBearden on September 20, 2009, 11:13:17 AMI'm not getting any duplicate alerts, either, but email alerts still aren't working.

Email alerts are working okay for me.  Just received an email alert 6 minutes ago.
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: RodBearden on September 20, 2009, 11:33:14 AM
They have just started arriving for me now :-)

Rod
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: GlynH on September 21, 2009, 07:31:55 AM
Alerts & emailed logs working OK here now with no duplicates that I can see.

Thanks & regards,
-=Glyn=-
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: pjm on September 21, 2009, 08:03:04 AM
Quote from: EMA on September 20, 2009, 08:21:14 AM
I only use notification normally the only reason I set email alerts was to replicate PJM.

Only seems to happen with "Aircraft" and "Registration" alerts, but not always!!!
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: tarbat on September 21, 2009, 08:24:23 AM
Quote from: pjm on September 21, 2009, 08:03:04 AMOnly seems to happen with "Aircraft" and "Registration" alerts, but not always!!!

There's a clue here!!  I've just set-up a Registration alert for G-LGN*, and I'm now getting duplicate email alerts:

(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2423/3940680650_91b112d091_o.jpg)

Mode-S Codes, Flight IDs, Squawk, etc. don't generate duplicates.  Maybe this is tied into the change made a while ago to get Registration alerts working?
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: pjm on September 21, 2009, 08:34:20 AM
Quote from: tarbat on September 21, 2009, 08:24:23 AM
There's a clue here!!  I've just set-up a Registration alert for G-LGN*, and I'm now getting duplicate email alerts:

woo hoo !!

I sense the worm is turning on this :)
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: GlynH on September 21, 2009, 02:19:00 PM
That's weird...I don't see this behaviour on my system.

Here is my Registration List;

G-VLCN
G-HBOB
G-WNAA
G-CHSU
G-CPSH
G-EMID
G-WMAO
PA474
AB910
MK356
P7350
PM631
PS915
F-AZJS
G-AIST
G-ASJV
G-AWII
G-BKMI
G-BKSP
G-BUOS
G-CTIX
G-LFIX
G-LFVB
G-MKVB
G-MKXI
G-MXVI
G-OXVI
G-RRGN
G-SPIT
LF363
PZ865
G-BKTH
G-HURI
ZA947
G-BEDF
N390TH
82-8000
92-9000
98-0001
98-0002
99-0003
99-0004
73-1676
73-1677
74-0787
75-0125
N755NA
XX179
XX227
XX233
XX237
XX242
XX253
XX260
XX264
XX266
XX292
XX294
XX306
XX308
F-GST*

Quite a list...and I also have the relevant Mode-S for these same aircraft in Alerts also.

In addition I use the same list in SmartView...

Is it a wildcard thing? All mine are listed in full but I see you see the * as a wildcard.

For a change I am not seeing this issue here - see attached.

One big thing though...when I run ANRB it brings my whole system to its knees...instead of Excel opening in under a second I just waited >30 seconds for it to open. I tried to open Snagit to take a screenshot of my Inbox for the attached picture and it was unusable taking >30 seconds just to open let alone trying to take a screenshot.

Quit ANRB and my system returns to normal.

TaskManager shows no excessive CPU activity...

Even writing this email is painful...I can watch the text being slowly typed to the screen after I have finished typing on the keyboard.

Regards,
-=Glyn=-

[attachment deleted by admin]
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: tarbat on September 21, 2009, 02:27:16 PM
Quote from: GlynH on September 21, 2009, 02:19:00 PMTaskManager shows no excessive CPU activity...

Well, if it's not CPU constrained, then it's possibly an I/O subsystem problem.  Can you check in Windows Performance manager what files are getting high levels of I/O.  Here's an example, showing the high level of I/O activity that RB can generate through SQLite journalling.

(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3507/3941386824_a48d45d557_o.jpg)

So much depends on how Airnav are using SQLite in their programming, when they commit transactions, etc.  Maybe an area for Airnav to look at for performance tuning in the future.
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: GlynH on September 21, 2009, 05:32:55 PM
Thanks Chris..again...<blush>

I will give the I/O a test when I can find something that I can trust under XP.

I used to use something called SiSoft Sandra so I might take a look at that and see if that will do...

If it is an I/O problem then my gut feel is that ANRB is doing something weird because as I have said before I can capture DV from camcorder with no dropped frames and render video/process RAW images with no slowdown like I see when I use ANRB.

I'll give it a go and report back.

Thanks & regards,
-=Glyn=-
Title: Re: Duplicate alerts - popup & email
Post by: pjm on September 21, 2009, 09:04:36 PM
Quote from: GlynH on September 21, 2009, 02:19:00 PM
That's weird...I don't see this behaviour on my system.

Is it a wildcard thing? All mine are listed in full but I see you see the * as a wildcard.

I don't have wildcards in my lists (although I did some testing with them) and I'm getting the duplicates.