Piper PA-28-161 Cadet

Started by Hamish McTorsk, February 18, 2009, 10:11:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Hamish McTorsk

I just picked up a Piper PA-28-161 Cadet on my screen, do light aircraft have to have SBS ???

Keith L

By SBS I assume you are referring to Mode-S transponders?  That is a difficult question to answer!  Despite the much heralded standardisation promised by EASA the situation is very confused.

QuoteRequirements for Aircraft to be Equipped with, and Operate, Mode S Transponders
The first and main point to be aware of is that, due to the wide national differences that exist with regard to regulations concerning Mode S transponder carriage for VFR flight in various airspace categories etc, standardisation on this particular issue has just not been possible.

I know you are in Denmark and I'm afraid I have no knowledge of the Danish regulations, this is what Eurocontrol believes the current UK situation is:
QuoteWith effect from 31 March 2008, Mode S became the technical means of compliance in all circumstances where equipage and operation of a transponder is mandatory. For VFR flights in the UK, those circumstances are as follows:
   
   
      All aircraft within UK airspace above FL 100;
      All aircraft within airspace notified as a 'Transponder Mandatory Zone' (TMZ),
      All aircraft, except balloons, flying for the purpose of public transport.
   
Aircraft equipped with a Mode A/C transponder prior to 31 March 2008 may register for an exemption and permission to continue to operate with their existing equipment until 31 March 2012.

The following exceptions to the Mode S VFR rules apply:

Gliders, including self-sustaining gliders and self-propelled hang gliders, except where operating above FL 195 outside of airspace notified as a TRA(G);

Aircraft operating in accordance with a clearance from an appropriate ATC unit for a particular flight, and in compliance with any instructions that the ATC unit may give in the particular case and the appropriate Rules of the Air that apply in the airspace concerned,

Aircraft operating in accordance with a general permission given by the appropriate ATC unit, and in compliance with any instructions that the ATC unit may give in relation to the particular flight and the appropriate Rules of the Air that apply in the airspace concerned.
   
   
Future proposals
The CAA (UK) is currently developing proposals to extend the circumstances in which equipage and operation of (Mode S) transponders is mandatory. A 17-week consultation period has recently closed and the responses reviewed. Specific measures can now be considered to lessen the impact on General Aviation operators. More details concerning this process, with a Synopsis of Comments Received and a Summary of Responses can be accessed via the CAA (UK) Mode S Homepage

Doesn't answer the question but gives you an idea of why some light aircraft have Mode-S transponders and some don't, I doubt you'll see many (if any) which are ADS-B equipped.
7 miles ENE of Luton (EGGW)

RodBearden

There are one or two around - here in Lancashire we have Cessna 172 G-BRZS will full ADS-B, and there was a Dutch C182 that was active last summer.

The list is growing slowly.

Rod
Rod

DaveReid

Quote from: Hamish McTorsk on February 18, 2009, 10:11:42 AM
I just picked up a Piper PA-28-161 Cadet on my screen

Out of interest, what was the identity ?
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour


DaveReid

This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

viking9

One for Hamish here - I have a Danish Air Force CL-64 (Challenger) Reg C-080 ModeS 45F422 at FL285 squawking 5252.
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

Hamish McTorsk

Ah ha .. Where did you see it ??

Hamish McTorsk

I just found it in my log, didnt notice it, thanks Viking, now I know that I can get Danish mil.

viking9

Hamish,

According to PlanePlotter he is still on the east coast of England, near Norwich. Looks as if he is going north. I'll keep you posted.

Tom
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

viking9

Hamish,

You need to set your alerts for Danish ModeS.

Tom
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

Hamish McTorsk

Huuurruummppphh..... And how might I ask do you do that .....*lol*

viking9

Hamish,

UK sharers have just lost him and he's being picked up by Berend in NL so I guess he's turned around and gone south.

To track non-positional ac you need PlanePlotter and a script called MyCircles. It's not very accurate and you have to do some guesswork, but by watching the sharer circles and knowing the squawk codes you can tell the general direction of an ac.

Tom
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

Hamish McTorsk

Ok, thanks for that...I figured it out the alerts..

viking9

Hamish,

All stations have lost him so I assume he has gone south. I've got to go and worm the cat now but I've set an alert to warn me if he returns.

Tom
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk