Flight Number - Requesting Users Opinion

Started by AirNav Development, December 06, 2011, 04:17:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AirNav Development

As we start working on the new version of the RadarBox client software we would like to coordinate some of our decisions with what our users think - that's the way we want to implement changes in the software, always in dialog with users.

Question: on many North American companies callsigns are shown as numbers only. So instead of ABC123, for many flights, our receivers get what's coming from the aircraft and inserted by the flight crew, "123".

It is easy for us to create a routine on our server that would automatically, based on the aircraft registration, attribute the airline icao code to the flight number and share the data corrected. Anyway this would change what's really coming from the aircraft (information wouldn't be as "authentic" as it should).

What's your opinion? Should we change this or keep it as it is?
Your feedback appreciated.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

ACW367

That could be a good idea, especially if you could put the routine derived addition in a different colour.

If a Southwest pilot programmes in SWA1423 - show that all black font
If he just programmes in 1423 - Have the routine add SWA but present those three letters in a red font adjoined to the 1423 in Black font.


Chris11

I second that. Great idea.  Should it be based on the registration or the company name? Would this require an additional table? I think so. That will mean more maintenance.

(Pity you have to compensate for lazy/uninformed pilots)

mikek

Good idea and I especially like ACW367's suggestion of using a different colour for what is being assumed vs what is being transmitted.

Mike

Bell 407


jim_stockwell

I agree with AWC367. This is an excellent idea.

Jim

Henning

The idea is good. And if you add a checkbox to the preferences dialog where I can select if I want to use this feature it's perfect!

Team Spirit

I like AWC367's idea too, so I would be happy with the idea.
Best regards Dave.

Runway 31

#8
I think this is a good move but I'm not really bothered about different font colours as to me the aircraft details, photograph etc, all shown on the screen will tell me the company anyway.  The major difference is that it will allow the company logo to be shown, confirming the info already on screen and allow the radar picture to give the company details where none exist at present. I cant think of any reasons user wouldnt want the info if it could be made available.  I am happy to go with the flow on whether different font colour would be needed but cannot think why this would be needed.

Alan

Bob SEN

I agree with Alan & AWC367 here, Im for anything that helps fill in the blanks....... as for the font colours, I think this is also a good idea as it just gives a bit more info on what the aircrafts Flight id should be......

cheers

Bob
1/2 a mile South of EGMC/SEN

MY PHOTO'S http://www.flickr.com/photos/96219572@N07/

.

Northern Watch

I for one would like to see coloured fonts for the reason mikek outlines in his comments earlier today.

Keith

anorak

Dave. Exmoor, North Devon.

nortonbeak

I agree with the recommendation for the use of colour.

RodBearden

I'm very much in favour, too. Perhaps the actual colour should be a user choice (colour-blindness problems), or perhaps the "assumed" bit could be in Italics?

Just a thought.

Rod
Rod

neroon79

Generally a very good idea. But, as mentioned by several other users I would prefer the use of colours or as Rod stated the use of text style or even a combination of both.
Greetings from northern Germany, Ingo
11.75nm ESE of EDDV

SW: ANRB v5.00.072/6.01.001 on WIN10 64Bit Pro&Home
HW:
Ant.: DPD Productions ADS-B Vertical Outdoor Base Antenna
AMP: Kuhne electr. KU LNA 1090 A TM
Cable: 25m of ECOFLEX 15+
NB: Asus P53E 24/7 op.
PC: 28"4K + 24" Monitor
AirSpy mini @RPi3