Interesting Aircraft

Started by Allocator, March 08, 2008, 08:26:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 15 Guests are viewing this topic.

viking9

Landed at Mildenhall today.

AE08F9 c/s ARGUS03 RC-12K Huron 84-0173 US Army 13:52
AE08F4 c/s ARGUS03 RC-12K Huron 85-0149 US Army 14:36
AE08F6 c/s ARGUS11 RC-12K Huron 85-0152 US Army 14:50

Callsigns are according to AirNav. Ac reg may not match ModeS as these aircraft are known to frequently swap boxes/codes.

Tom


Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

JRS98

Quote from: viking9 on February 27, 2009, 10:21:35 AM
Quote from: JRS98 on February 27, 2009, 07:34:42 AM
Interesting flight level for an aircraft with a max altitude of 65,000 :-)

What type of aircraft?

Tom


Tom,

It's a Global Hawk.

RodBearden

Tom or JRS or anybody - call you please tell me the Mode S or Reg of the Global HawK?

Rod
Rod

viking9

Rod,

I don't have any ModeS codes but you will find registrations in this database:

http://home.att.net/~jbaugher/

You need to scroll down the page to the serial lists. I think 1995 is the first serial year for Global Hawk.

Tom
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

Canonjohns40D

#424
Hi  a bit late I know but it's been a hectic day!! Anyhow I have this one logged today. AE0941 61-2667 USAF Boeing WC-135W using COBRA 67. I went looking for details of the aircraft and found this.


The WC-135W is a modified C-135B . It is an extensively modified former EC-135C Looking Glass aircraft. The Constant Phoenix's modifications are primarily related to the aircraft's on-board atmospheric collection suite, which allows the mission crew to detect radioactive debris "clouds" in real time. The aircraft is equipped with external flow-through devices to collect particulates on filter paper and a compressor system for whole air samples collected in high-pressure holding spheres.

The interior seats 33 people, including the cockpit crew, maintenance personnel, and special equipment operators from the Air Force Technical Applications Center. On operational sorties, the crew is minimized to just pilots, navigator, and special equipment operators, in order to reduce occupational radiation exposure to qualified mission essential personnel.

The Constant Phoenix WC-135 aircraft serves as an aerial collection platform for the Air Force Technical Applications Center (AFTAC), supporting the detection and identification of debris from nuclear weapons detonations. Two Constant Phoenix aircraft, WC-135W (serial number 61-2667) and WC-135C (serial number 62-3582) are currently assigned to the 45th Reconnaissance Squadron, 55th Wing at Offutt AFB. This mission was previously conducted by WC-135W 61-2665, which was retired in September 1996. Previously, as many as ten WC-135B weather reconnaissance airplanes flew in support of weather analysis, nuclear detection, and other scientific research.

Does anyone know anything about it is this still it's role etc?

John
Hi I'm John... and I'm a Radarbox User. I'm based in Bangor Co Down Northern Ireland.

Tramline

Located 2 miles South of LHR.

Blackthorn

Quote from: Canonjohns40D on February 27, 2009, 11:34:35 PM

Does anyone know anything about it is this still it's role etc?

John


This was the last remaining WC-135B aircraft of the 55 Weather Reconnaissance Squadron based at Offutt (The pole vaulters) they were used to monitor the ice cap.

Kevin


viking9

John,

Its callsign suggest it's working as a Cobra Ball but you never can be sure with these aircraft. They are often used to test surveillance and recconaisance equipment which will eventually be fitted to RC-135V/W Rivet Joint aircraft. They, and the Rivet Joints and Cobra Balls are fairly frequent visitors to RAF Mildenhall.

Tom
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

Canonjohns40D

#428
HI Tom/Kevin

Thanks for the information. Boy have I a lot to learn but that is what this hobby is about and why this forum is so good. I was well pleased though as it is a very unusal one for me.

John
Hi I'm John... and I'm a Radarbox User. I'm based in Bangor Co Down Northern Ireland.

viking9

John,

Watch out tomorrow, 1 March, for KC-135s using callsigns QUID**. They should be taking off from Mildenhall around 11:00 to refuel aircraft, possibly B-1B Lancers, over the Atlantic.

Tom
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

Blackthorn

Tom

I presume the Sunday morning curfew still exists at Mildenhall until 11am?

Canonjohns40D

Hi Tom thanks for the heads up. On my box now is AE0233 USAF HOIST95 KC-10A Extender.

John
Hi I'm John... and I'm a Radarbox User. I'm based in Bangor Co Down Northern Ireland.

besty

Hi I've got Hoist 95 and ARGUS 68(AE03F9) DUKE 28(AE0401) and ARGUS 11(AE08F6) all in my area at the moment.

Stuart

viking9

Quote from: Blackthorn on February 28, 2009, 04:54:24 PM
Tom

I presume the Sunday morning curfew still exists at Mildenhall until 11am?

Hi Kevin,

Sorry for the late reply - shopping with the wife intervened! No, there hasn't been a curfew at Mildenhall for a long time. In fact Sunday mornings are often the busiest times.

61-2667  WC-135W is on the ground there now, so perhaps he'll be off tomorrow morning.

I'm off to watch the Rugby on TV.

Tom
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

Blackthorn

Quote from: viking9 on February 28, 2009, 05:40:12 PM
Quote from: Blackthorn on February 28, 2009, 04:54:24 PM
Tom

I presume the Sunday morning curfew still exists at Mildenhall until 11am?

Hi Kevin,

Sorry for the late reply - shopping with the wife intervened! No, there hasn't been a curfew at Mildenhall for a long time. In fact Sunday mornings are often the busiest times.

61-2667  WC-135W is on the ground there now, so perhaps he'll be off tomorrow morning.

I'm off to watch the Rugby on TV.

Tom


Cheers Tom

I remember waiting for the curfew to end on Sundays during the 1980's and watching an endless procession of aircraft taxiing out, sometimes I got lucky with the SR71 :-)

Kevin